Blogroll Me!

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

LOVE


Somebody left a note on my facebook page this morning about how they still feel John Lennon's love today.


At the time I read it, I had remarks to make which i kept to myself. After all, most things I've read or viewed do not portray John as a particularly loving guy...


(these weren't simply McCartney-sanctioned communiques either)



But then I started listening to my Lennon records in an effort to somehow commemorate the 30-year anniversary of his murder, remembering how I felt as a sixteen year-old, working a grill shift at McDonald's when I heard the news. Beginning with the most recent album I had (
John Lennon Collection), I proceeded chronologically backwards in my listening. Next was, of course, 'Double Fantasy', the intended comeback and yet final studio album, credited to 'John Lennon and Yoko Ono'.


That's always bugged me. Yoko always bugged me. Forget 'breaking up the Beatles' and all that. From the time John Lennon met Yoko Ono in 1968, she was inescapable for any Lennon fan. Double Fantasy was supposed to be this great Lennon event, but we all saw the credit and the cover art and knew that it wasn't going to be the record we had hoped it would be. I mean, Avant garde is cool and everything, but why did her avant garde stuff, complete with vocal panting and grunting and optional singing, set to silly 50's rock standard forms have to be strategically placed inescapably between Lennon classics like (Just Like)Starting Over, Watching The Wheels and Woman?



The answer?
Love.



Many wedding liturgies contain a question of intent that is worded this way:



"Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?"



Forsaking all others.
ALL others



Yep. Lennon forsook the Beatles, the critics, the fans, the right wingers, the left wingers, the punters, the sycophants... even the little people like me who felt we had rights to what his art should sound like and what songs should be included on an album he had created. All for a girl.



Paul (the apostle, not the Beatle) wrote that "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails..."



And whereas John Lennon may not have been a particularly loving guy to many, he certainly seemed to be loving towards Yoko and their 5 year old son, Sean. Just listen to 'Double Fantasy' from beginning to end. The sound of Love is unmistakeable.



What is Love without object and expression anyway?



I guess I can still feel the love too- just needed to figure out how to enter its presence.

***



so long, johnny. sorry you were stolen from us the way you were.


2 Comments:

At 12/10/2010, OpenID societyvs said...

I always found the sentiments of Lennon lined up very well with the ideas of love in the biblical teachings. Everyone likes love I think.

As I listen to 'Don't Let Me Down' by the Beatles.

 
At 12/23/2010, Blogger jollybeggar said...

not everyone agrees with you. see the comments to an abbreviated version of this post at http://www.northview.sk.ca/blogs/love/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home